Monday, February 5, 2007

Day 2

I went for a run this morning before work along the Yarra river. All of the guide books harsh on the river for being dirty, but I think it seemed just fine. I bet those complainers have never seen the Hudson. The Yarra was crowded with Crew teams and black swans with bright red bills. It was a gorgeous morning: sunny (which the weather report calls “fine” here, so the forecast for tomorrow is “partially fine” which cracks me up) and 18C. There were tons of people out running or cycling. The sky was crowded too, with hot air balloons. I think it’s a popular tourist attraction to take a balloon ride over the city. I ran past the Rod Laver tennis center, where the Australian open was held just weeks ago. Getting ready for work I watched a morning show that I can assure you was just as inane as all the American ones, but with better accents. It was a great morning.

Fantasy fun camp was put on hold shortly thereafter when I started work. First days on projects are all the same. You don’t have a badge. You don’t have a log in. You don’t have a phone. You hear tons of new jargon and acronyms. You learn that the role as it was described to you is nothing like the role you will perform. You get locked in the elevator. You get locked out of the bathroom. (Anyway, that’s what my first days are like.) Everyone I met seems great. The role seems pretty complex. I am hoping I can fake it until I figure it out. More on my role and work once I figure out what the hell is going on. (Expect an update in this in ~ 3 months.)

I have a lot more to tell you, but a ton of work to do as well, so I leave a couple of cliffhangers to keep you coming back: In future posts I’ll be detailing my plans to try out for a Women’s ultimate team here and also explaining a distinctive regional driving maneuver that I’m sure Mad Mike will enjoy.

4 comments:

Paige said...

Courtneyspondence....I love it!! We miss you already, but this will help tons. I'll just be sitting here hitting refresh.

Andrew said...

I don't know what Australian weatherpersonnel call extreme cold, but that's what we've got up here! Everything sounds great; I hope you get a badge soon.

Anonymous said...

cmk,
if you do find Wraft Mac n Cheese or some Wleenex, please bring some back! haha
xoxo,alex

courtney said...

p-dub, miss you too! TMC is my inspiration.

hootch, extreme cold is a snowboarding holiday in new zealand.

alex, i will ship a box back as soon as i find it. perhaps baby nina's first solid food?

~cmfk