Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Rooting Around

(Written and intended to be posted on March 17)

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! There is a ton going on right now and I have no time to blog. Work is double plus nutso but that’s boring. There is a grand prix on in Melbourne this weekend, a big formula 1 race. There is also the world swimming championships. They have plenty of pools here but for some reason they turned the Rod Laver tennis center into a pool. It is a little odd. I want to go see the water polo.

I started a March madness pool for the flummoxed Australians I work with. There are 11 of us. I am in last place. Go Hoyas.

I am having team box over tonight for Tacos. You know how I love to cook. Wish me luck.

I went this morning to get the roots on my low-lites done. I am so mad. They never listen to you, those beauty girls, and they are so intimidating. She totally screwed up my hair and charged me a ton for it. I think she was going for strawberry blonde (why I don’t know) but it is basically pink and looks very ugly. Thanks beauty salon. I might just cut the bleached hair out.

One quick story: The AFL is about to start here (Australian Football League). The cup for preseason championship is tonight. AFL is huge here (bigger than NFL for us). Everyone is a fan. I am trying to pick a team. I have been using this as small talk at work. I’ve been asking everyone “Which AFL team they root for”. I was getting some strange looks. I’d try to be more specific, “Do you root for the St. Klida Saints, or the Richmond Tigers?” About a week into this someone from Team Box told me that they use “root” a little differently here. It’s slang, on the vulgar side. I’ll just say that JF Kennedy was rumored to have rooted Marilyn Monroe, if you get my drift. So when I was asking all my colleagues who they “root for” I was asking something else entirely. Go me. Apparently the phrase here is to “go for” a team and I’m planning to “go for” the Richmond Tigers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember crack in ireland............
i'm so glad you you told me what crack meant there.
i'm glad i didn't refuse to have some crack with leigh at rayan's wedding.
sj

courtney said...

mom, yes, stay off the craig!