Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Hari Rama, Hari Rama, Rama Rama, Hari Hari

Work is hectic. I had my Accenture mid-year review this morning which was a nice break from the frenzy. It’s always good to try and have a little long term perspective.

I still love my apartment, but I have developed some minor complaints. I hate my pillows. Is there anything worse than a down pillow? I guess these are a hold over from when feathers were all they had to stuff pillows with. Feathers are better than pebbles and sticks, but only marginally. Down pillows are all fluffed up when sitting idly, but as soon as you put your head on one they flatten completely. Since my primary use for the pillow involves it being under my head, a down pillow is about as good as no pillow at all. I will be pillow shopping for a non-crap pillow once I have some time.

They do things a little different here in Australia. Nationals is Sunday April 22-Wendesday April 25. That’s right. A big Wednesday final. Climactic. Sure. Nationals is actually in Melbourne so I won’t have to/get to travel for that. One thing at a time, though. I’m focused on Regionals this weekend in Tasmania. I am very excited. I will try to take and post some photos.

One thing that isn’t different here in Melbourne is that I always seem to live just a couple of blocks from a Hari Krishna temple. 29 is on 2nd Ave at 6th street and there is a Hari temple at 2nd and 4th. Here, 301 is on Flinders Lane between Swanston and Elizabeth and the Hari temple is around the corner on Swanston. Maybe there is just a Hari temple every few blocks everywhere in the world. I guess it’s a reassuring consistency. I’d like to be for those guys. I really would. They always seem peaceful and happy as they sing. Too bad their world view just as wack as every other religion and they are so devoted there’s not much else to talk to them about. I recommend trying to have a conversation with a Hari about sports. Total waste of time. Also, the Hari’s always seem really young. What happens to the old Haris? I love that case study from
Oliver Sacks about the guy who is worshipped by his Hari temple as supremely sublime but the indications of his sublime state (quiet, still, serene, goes blind) are all actually caused by a large brain tumor. They are on to something about the chanting though. Chanting is good for you and totally makes the boring meeting go by faster. Right now I am chanting the 3 minute rule.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you see? You've been placed in such close proximity to the Hari temples because it is your destiny to save them - thus, the world. It is your path to immortality.

*whispers* Save the Krishnas, Save the World.

If you discover a decent pillow, for the love of Buddha let me know. I've been through all kinds at all price levels. Nothing satisfies me. I'm very snooty that way.

Den.

amy said...

My first encounter with the Hari Krishnas was at an ultimate tournament in California (I think it was Santa Barbara but I can't remember now) where they came to give us cheap/free vegan food post-tourney. That won me over.

Good luck at regionals!

PS - Why haven't the Aussies figured out that by having finals on Wed, people have to take off 3 work days? Do they not work in Australia? Confused...

courtney said...

Dennis - They have Heroes here too and the promos are just as moronic. Some things just cannot be escaped.

Amy Chou - The vegan food is good. The bit about gender suppression is less so.