Monday, October 1, 2007

The Muppets Take Manhattan

Mike and Barb in front of the Royal Exhibition Building, which is a world heritage site.
Barb and Mike in front of the Melbourne Gaol. (Unfortunately there were no vacancies.)
Day 1 in Melbourne with Barb and Mike went pretty well. After the bad (but free) breakfast at their hotel I showed them my apartment and they dropped off their laundry. Then we took the free city circle tram around and saw the vast array of Melbourne public art. We hopped off the tram on the northern end of the city grid to walk through Carlton Gardens to the Royal Exhibition Building and the Melbourne Museum. The Museum was fairly crowded due to it being School Holidays. We saw a native forest exhibit and an indigenous art exhibit.
After the Museum we walked up Lygon Street a few blocks into the Little Italy of Melbourne and had a pasta lunch and some wine. After lunch we walked back South toward the city and stopped off at the Melbourne Gaol, where the (in)famous Ned Kelly was executed. After that we took the tram home and had a coffee near my apartment on Centre place. I dropped them back off at the hotel for 'unstructured time' from 5:00-7:00 PM. I'll pick them back up at 7:00 and we'll go to a Jazz restaurant near my apartment for dinner and the show.
Tomorrow will be the Royal Botanical Garden and probably Queen Victoria Market. Also my Aunt Vicky and Uncle John arrive on the train in the morning.

In NFL news, the Eagles are the worst team in the NFC east (and the league?), losing to the hapless Giants and scoring only 3 points. On the upside, I can quit paying any attention to the NFL for the rest of the season because the Chiefs knocked me out of my NFL survivor pool. And yes, the Mets did miss the playoffs. I'll be focusing exclusively on cricket from here on out. Bowl a wicket!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! The girls really enjoyed them. Thanks Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hey cousin Courtney!We enjoyed looking at pictures from Australia of Mike, John and the sisters who put the word fun in disfunctional.It looks to be very cold there, while we are still enjoying global warming with +90degree October days.

Check out my percussion group at
http://louisvilleleopardpercussionists.com/index.htm

I am practicing with the group twice a week. We have our first gig in November. We will get you a tee shirt so you can be the envy of all your ultimate buddies. Write back and let us know what size.

Watch for our HBO documentary special in January called the Leopards take Manhattan special. Last year's group went to Manhattan to perform at an international music festival. We will be doing similar tours during my upcoming 6 years with the group. After that, i will be starting my own professional rock group as the lead drummer so many chicks can throw themselves at me and I can make millions.

I composed this e-mail by myself with no help from uncle Joe.

Have fun, Lucas.

PS. please find a permanent home for your visitors there. we have been nice to them in the US for as long as we can take it. it is now your turn.

courtney said...

Lucas! Hello. Thanks so much for your post. I've heard a lot about this Leopard percussion group and I want to hear even more. Maybe you can get my uncle Joe to make me a recording? Great work on practicing so hard. Miss you.