Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Know when to fold 'em, Know when to Run

A few more brief comments prior to responding to the reader participation drive and a shout out to all 8 of my readers:

This past Sunday was the day I had promised myself I would do a hill work out. There is a pretty steep hill on the Tan, where I usually run, that keeps a continuous incline for about 600 meters. First I decided I would do 5 hills at 90%. Then (from my couch) I raised to 7. On Sunday it was 33 degrees here (91 F) and I bumped it back down to 5. Even then, my last one at 90% was still at a pace that saw me passed by senior citizens with walkers. I will need to try that one again. Maybe this Sunday after Karen & Lee’s engagement party (where I am expected to costume myself as half of a famous couple. I am trying to think of someone who was famously married to their work. Suggestions welcome, but please remember my level of artistic talent before you go telling me to sew an Evangeline costume.)

Also on Sunday, I noticed that the City of Melbourne has put up a huge metal Christmas tree in the square near my apartment. Ug. It glistens in the hot sun. They don’t really celebrate Halloween down here, and not Thanksgiving at all so there is nothing to stop the slide into full scale Christmas capitalism. I’ll try to get you a picture.

This” is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I laughed out loud until it “hurt”. I am such a nerd. This is my favorite because of the “slogan”. The whole blog reminded me of KT a bit (the acerbic tone I guess) and I think she should be doing a blog at least this funny if not funnier.

I got a chance to play in a friendly Poker game this weekend, which I promptly ruined for everyone with my ‘Never Fold’ strategy. I got a pair (of 5s) on the first hand and raised too much pre flop. Then I was re-raised enough that I might as well go all in, which I thought would shut them up. Instead, several other people went all in with me. Of course, I lost, but so did 3 other people, which meant that the 4 of us had nothing to do for the next hour or so but watch and a player with two pair won four times the chip count on the first hand, making him the big stack at the table and changing the dynamic of the entire game. (I did win a side game I started with the drop outs.)

Do you guys have that commercial for Extra whitening gum on TV at home with the adorable claymation stains that follow the girl around until she pops in a pellet and then they all fall off the ferry? There’s a coffee cup, a cigarette butt, chocolate and a banana. That’s right. A banana. Fight the scourge of banana stained teeth. I always thought bananas were white. I think the banana only made the cut because it is the cutest of the stains.

The rugby world cub finals were last weekend. Starved for football, I planned my weekend around watching this game on at 5 AM Melbourne time. I went to bed at 7, planning to get up for the day for the game. Instead I woke up at 3 AM and couldn’t get back to sleep. I read. I listened to talk radio. Nothing helped. That is until the game started. I dozed off at 5:20 or so and missed the most of the game. It was all penalty kicks and no trys anyway, so I guess I didn’t miss too much, but I am glad that the South African Springboks prevailed over England.

Here's my window box on 24-Oct-07:


Begonia - Lavender - Erinus
The Window box seems to be doing well despite the trauma of transplant. The Lavender and Erinus are already much taller than they were when planted. The Begonia is still blooming but it might be getting a little too much sun as the edges of the blooms are getting a burnt brown color. The narrow alley location means the direct sun is really only from 12-1 PM or so, but that still might be more than a Begonia likes. I’ll keep you posted.

And finally,

I saw this walking to work today. That's right. Get your Christmas hampers today. With food in them. Jeez.


Have a nice week.

1 comment:

HurricaneK said...

I am a fan of the unnecessary quotation marks "blog." My other favorite is www.passiveagressivenotes.com. The two work in tandem to make my workday a whole lot brighter.