Saturday, May 26, 2007

As Promised, My Corporate Promo

Those of you who follow 'spondence closely (my mom and Dennis) will recall that in my post on April 7 I said,

"Also, the CRM group I work in has asked to interview me about my involvement in “extreme Frisbee”. I am terrified. I will keep you posted."

This post is my following up on that promise. The Customer Relationship Management subset of the Management Consulting & Integrated Markets group I belong to at Accenture sends out a bi-monthly newsletter (via e-mail) to thousands of my fellow employees worldwide. The May-June edition has made me famous with the inclusion below. I had better watch out for paparazzi next time I exit 301.

I think a lot of the comments below are inane and I'm pretty sure my quotes are both accurately captured and grammatically incorrect, so I can't blame anyone else for that but myself. I'll leave it up to the commenters to pull out the most tragic bits, but you know who you are if you are up for this (KT, Liset, Benji).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Courtney Kelly brings her consulting expertise and Ultimate Frisbee talents Down Under



Courtney Kelly (in orange) has brought American Ultimate plays to her Australian teammates.


"Have suitcase; will travel" is an expression many consultants relate to–travel simply comes with the territory. Yet while traveling for work can pose challenges, it can also present some interesting opportunities.

Take Courtney Kelly, a manager who is recently deployed into the CRM service line. As a competitive athlete, Courtney feels right at home at her current client project in Melbourne, Australia–the sports and outdoor activity of the world.

Courtney is currently in Melbourne to help Australian telecommunications company Telstra transform its infrastructure and its processes. Outside the office, she is an avid Ultimate Frisbee competitor.

Ultimate has helped Courtney in balancing her professional and personal life both at her home base in New York and now in Melbourne. “Getting out of the office on the weekend and focusing on physical exercise helps me to reduce stress and get a fresh perspective on things,” she said.

Courtney is looking at life in a new perspective Down Under. “Ultimate has definitely made my transition to Australia easier,” she said. “Making the team in Melbourne meant that I immediately had 18 jogging pals, and 18 people to ask for advice about how to get around town.”

Courtney’s 18 new friends in Australia on the Ultimate team known as Team Box include a lawyer, a concert pianist, several engineers, mothers and students, among others. “I’m exposed to a wider swath of ‘real Australians,’ rather than all the other expat Accenture coworkers I spend all day with,” she said.

Hailing from the birthplace of Ultimate, Courtney has brought American plays to her Australian teammates. “I’m taking more of a teaching role here in Melbourne,” she said. “Having played against top international Ultimate teams in the United States, I can teach my teammates these strategies.”

With a victory at the Southern Australian Regional Championships under their belts, Courtney and her teammates placed second at the Australian National Championships. In the meantime, the Melburnians have welcomed Courtney to Australia with open arms, exposing her to the excitement of the Australian Football League and a cup of cappuccino that puts Starbucks to shame.

“I’m really enjoying my time in Australia, but I’m surprised how similar things are here, compared to New York,” Courtney said. “I’m working with a diverse, international team, but other than spelling customize with an ‘s’ rather than an ‘z,’ I hardly notice that we have different backgrounds and different passports.”

5 comments:

Paige said...

holy cripes, that's funny. you take your "american plays" with you wherever you go, don't you? seriously, that's awesome. i think you can get an injection for that exposure to "real Australians."

Paige said...

Original comment edited to note: No offense to "real Australians."

Anonymous said...

It kind of sounds like you were interviewed by a reporter from the Stepford Gazette. I'm really hoping that now they'll ask you to do a company video. They can follow you with cameras to get shots of you smiling as you hand your ticket over at the airport, smiling as you walk through Melbourne with a map, smiling as you throw a frisbee to (from what we can see) no one at all. Perhaps even a shot of you smiling as the clock hits midnight and you're still working.

Please promise me that, just before shooting starts, you'll purchase a smart skirt suit in a respectable navy and get your hair done like Jackie Kennedy. It will crush me if you don't.

Den.

HurricaneK said...

In hopes of disproving this article's claim that you come from the "birthplace of Ultimate," I looked it up on Wikipedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_frisbee. However, they were right, kind of, as apparently Ultimate was born in New Jersey. Need I point out that I WAS ALSO BORN IN JERSEY. I'm not saying there's a connection, but I am also renowned for my American plays. Good job getting famous though - it's surely only a short leap to major internet stardom and palling around with Kylie Minogue or, um, Crocodile Dundee? Also, excellent action shot. Hope you have a happy birthday and find some way to celebrate that is appropriate to your newfound status as a public figure.

courtney said...

Paige - indeed. I've got my american plays right here, and no need to worry, no 'real australians' read this blog. It's blocked from any .au IP addresses

Dennis - It's not if, it's when I do the video shoot. I can't wait to see what the sound track is for the montage. I'm hoping it's Pnk Floyd's comfortably numb.

KT - Yes, Kylie is right here. We're sharing a Fosters while we toss a boomarang to our pet kangaroo.