Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Apologies

Let me just go ahead and preemptively apologize for the following post. You may want to skip it of your sense of humor has developed past that of a 7th grader. Or if you are still opposed to racism (which is so three decades ago).

I just got off the phone with the box office at the Hi-Fi. I am pretty sure I got tickets to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. It's a nice venue and about as far from my apartment here as the Bowery Ball Room is from 29. (I've pretty much recreated my NYC life exactly here in Melbourne, proving the tenant that where ever you go, there you are.)

I know English is hard to learn. I can't speak any other languages and I am quite impressed with immigrants who come to foreign lands and learn to speak a new language. That said, I think the staffing of someone with poor English language skills answering the phone at a box office is an interesting choice. I spent 20 minutes repeating and confirming credit card numbers and confirmation numbers. "3. 3. 3! ... No, 3 like the third..." [I'm thinking of Curtiss calling the Korean live sushi place now, "You come tomorrow, this afternoon now?"]

This process was complicated by the fact that person assisting me with my ticket called the band I am going to see "Yes Crap in Hand Yes" which sounds more like a dire explanation and less like a rock band that went back in a time machine to the 1980s and captured David Byrne's voice in a jar. I am really just going to the show to see if the jar is on stage.

3 comments:

amy said...

I'm a big fan of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah as well. :) My high schoolers went to their first big tournament this weekend and came in 5th (out of 8 and they were seeded 7th). We're ramping up for Easterns May 19-20, which is their equivalent of Nationals.

amy said...

Also, here are a list of things that we can't send you:

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler's checks; platinum, gold, and silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles are prohibited.

Fruit cartons (used or new).

Goods bearing the name "Anzac."

Goods produced wholly or partly in prisons or by convict labor.

Perishable infectious biological substances.

Radioactive materials.

Registered philatelic articles with fictitious addresses.

Seditious literature.

Silencers for firearms.

Used bedding.

I especially like the last one. I was going to send you my old sheets, and I know you're disappointed, but I can't.

courtney said...

Mom, Amy makes a good point. Maybe you did not ship my box to Austria. Maybe it is stalled at customs. Did you send me that silencer I requested, because maybe that is holding things up. It's just that I need it because when I shoot people in NYC the gunshots are covered by street noise (or other gunshots) and here it's just too quiet.