Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bra-nanza!

Oh my goodness!  You guys are amazing.

So partially in response to this post, and more generally due to a deep-seated awesomeness and capability to deliver positive outcomes, Kate Condon organized a bra drive for the ladies of ASYV.  She crushed it!  Many thanks to all the employees of Perfect Sense Digital, Scripps and Kate's personal network who chipped in bras for the girls.  Together they collected 176 (176!) bras that were neatly sorted by size and arrived by FedEx.  I cannot thank Kate and her friends enough.

Based on my own prejudices, I decided to allocate the new supplies to the sports teams first.  The girl's basketball team, football (soccer) team and volleyball team got first dibs on finding some well fitting support and after that the rest of the bras went to the village clothing supply to be provided to the neediest girls.

When I sent news to the basketball team about the distribution, they were so excited they showed up at my house 30 minutes before the agreed upon time.  Once they saw the supply it was like a feeding frenzy (or that bargain wedding dress show warehouse show).  They immediately started trying on to find their best fit, all smiles and squeals of delight.  (This isn't really the type of thing you can photograph without raising the attention of certain Interpol departments but please trust me that the grins were ear to ear.)

For several of the girls, it was their first ever bra and they wore it out and haven't taken it off since!

The new gear was certainly in use during a basketball game here in the village on Sunday, March 24.  A school from Kigali (College Amis Des Enfants) came to play the against our girls and boys teams.  Here's some pics of the game, which our girls dominated:
Going for a rebound

Coach calls a timeout to regroup

Free throw (good)

Keeping the handle while spinning away from the defense


For me it is humbling how much some of my friends at home, (and some folks I've never even met!), care about the girls at the village and were willing to jump to action to help them.  I think the girls felt so fortunate to have guardian angels looking out for them from another hemisphere.

Thanks to all involved!

The bounty:



2 comments:

Jillian said...

Courtney, you've inspired us all! Kate beat us to the bras, but I've got a stack of dictionaries forming on my desk, as do Vikki and a few others. They'll be along to you soon!

courtney said...

Jillian! I am so excited. Thanks so much from my girls and from all the students at ASYV. You guys are truly amazing.