Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tralfamadore and Beyond

What can I tell you? Work is work, almost ceaselessly. A correction/update from a previous post is that I may not be seeing Paul down here after all. We are still working on it, but suffice it to say that circumstances have changed. I previously mentioned that I won’t be blogging about my employer, so I’ll honor that. But reach out to me directly for more #@&%! than Andy Capp.

My heros keep dying. First Hunter, now this:

My favorite author died. I don’t have anything sage to say about that. Breakfast of Champions was always my favorite but Sirens of Titan is great too, along with everything else. If I have a world view, it is plagiarized from him. I think he’s right about many things: being a humanist, that a two person unit is not enough for anything, man’s illogical drive to survive and most importantly, “Dammit, you’ve got to be kind.”

Speaking of Kindness, I’d like to thank the most recent visits from the mail fairy: Mara and Jax. Mara is all world traveler on me, sending a postcard about her time in Israel, penned while visiting Athens and posted from Oxford. Whew! Jax, sent me a PERFECT care package with what I miss from NYC. Thanks Jax. Much love.

There was an article about the dance night at the Guggenheim and PS1 in the Melbourne Age weekender this week. The point was that if New Yorkers can dance in an art museum, Melbourne should do that too, challenging local museums to open up. I’ll keep you posted on if they do. I got to feel a little smug about myself reading that. “Oh yeah, that’s my home.” Though I went to the Guggenheim dance night exactly once and PS1 maybe 3 times in 4 years, so I can’t exactly claim to have patronized said venues. Maybe you could go for me next time on my behalf?

Did I mention that there is an international comedy festival on? There is. I’ve gone to good shows. I’m going to see the British and Irish guys. Very funny. My favorite bit so far has been about mild super powers. What are yours? You know mine: I can see well in the dark and I have excellent oral hygiene. The Australians do impressions of people I’ve never heard of (probably famous Cricketers) and talk more slang than is intelligible, so I am avoiding their shows.

Deirdre and I did a GREAT bike ride today with one of the Team Box captains, Liz. We followed the Yarra trail on a 30 K ride around the city. It was wonderful. The ride went through a number of city parks, past great modern art both planned (sculpture) and volunteer (graff) and by the zoo. The city is very bike-able and likeable.

I am starting to get a bit nervous for Nationals which is next Sunday- Wednesday. I don’t feel ready yet, but the time is here, so here I go. Go Team Box! I will let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good saturday morning . still cold and stormy here.
good luck at nationals. i'll be cheering for you.
GO TEAM BOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO BOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
loved the team box blogg. the pics were great, and the pics of you cooking were awesome.
your dad can eat some taco's too.
enjoy nationals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sj

amy said...

Good luck at natty's! I am still confused as to why they are Sun - Wed...those crazy Aussies. Maybe that's why they have to send Americans like you to do work.

Anonymous said...

Post a picture of the Australian Nationals trophy after Team Box wins it all.

I'm with you on being sad about Vonnegut.

It's gross here... hope the weather in Melbourne is better.

Ali

Anonymous said...

wow. nice ride. i did the perimeter of nyc from 12th street up a couple weeks ago for a total of 25 miles. it was great. and i do not recommend riding on the FDR...ever! that part was terrifying.

also saw drew at the track in east river park the other day.

matthew robinson

courtney said...

Mom, Thanks.
Amy, Thanks.
Ali, Thanks.
Matteo! This is the kind of posting I'm looking for. Thanks for keeping tabs on Drew for me. I am glad he is still alive. I'd like to advocate using the comments section here as mini-gawker, and if any of you see anyone else that I know, letting me know about it, what happened, where it was. It's like I'm home, and seeing through your eyes. More!