Tuesday, July 1, 2008

quick fiji update

i am here in Nadi. my resort, the smuggler's cove, is safe and clean. i think they kill drug smugglers here so the name seems a bit ironic.

the island seems pretty nice. it is 27 Celcius today and sunny.

service is quite sloooooow and casual. no one is in a hurry.

all the fijeans are are SUPER friendly which makes me think they are trying a scam or something but i think they are just like that. they won't accept tips. even when they carry your 38 kilo suitcase up two flights of stairs.

it is pretty quiet here and i think most people just come for honeymoons. i will take a tour of the outer islands tomorrow and do some snorkleing. i am glad i only have a couple of days here as there is not a ton to do in Nadi. i think Suva is where it's at, but i'm not driving or bussing to the east side of the island in the next two days.

i'll fly to nyc on friday night, arrive sat morning. i am looking forward to that.

food seems not so great so far, reminds me of puerto rico, lots of bland fried fish, but i actually think they are just trying to pander to what british tourists want. today i'll try to find some more authentic food.

just wanted to let you know that all was well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney-
What a world traveler you are! I am jealous. Enjoy Fiji! Get back to the states safely! Any chance you may travel to Oak Island in a couple of weeks??

Love, Janet and family

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,
I was in Suva several years ago when I worked in the merchant marine. Had a good time there - but I'm a guy. The beer was good and the bars were good - I needed regular beer in that heat.
Regarding the food, I also didn't consider it to be very good. There wasn't anything special that I remember. We seemed to always end up in Chinese restaurants of the self-service type. They were OK but again nothing special.
I always find the local markets to be the best places to spend the day. Lots of things to see and enjoyable smells from the spices stalls.
Have a good time and keep posting.
Roger. (Nottingham UK).

courtney said...

janet - hey there. thanks for the hello. i'm not sure if i'll make it to exotic oak island in the next couple of weeks or not. i'd love to see everyone, but i need to get home and see how long i'll be there and what my next steps are. i'll let you know. i'm sure i won't even recognize all the kids. kiss evan, hayley and lauren for me.

roger! greetings and welcome to 'spondence. thanks for the tips. all in all i had a pretty good time in fiji, but i think i would have had a bit more if i hadn't been on my own. thanks for your comment. mostly i just get comments from my mom. how'd you stumble across my blog?

Anonymous said...

Courtney, Hello again. Where are you now?
The funny thing is that I stumbled across your blog in one of my Google Alerts! It had you listed under "drug smugglers" because of your reference to smugglers cove. I'll copy and paste the item below and you can see it for yourself :
Here goes :

Google Blogs Alert for: british drug smuggler

quick fiji update
By courtney(courtney)
i am here in Nadi. my resort, the smuggler's cove, is safe and clean. i think they kill drug smugglers here so the name seems a bit ironic. the island seems pretty nice. it is 27 Celcius today and sunny. ...
Courtneyspondence - http://courtneyspondence.blogspot.com/


So that's how I found you! I kept you in my favourites(book-mark) list and just saw your link this afternoon and thought I'd catch up with you again.
What are your plans for the next few months? Here in England it is supposed to be summer time but we have cool and rainy weather again this year (last year was floods). Just hope we get some hotter weather soon as we don't see much of the sun here. I really miss it.
Take care. Will keep checking in to your blog.
Roger.