Monday, January 21, 2008

Sufjantastic

What can I tell you? Things are busy at work. Boo.

Also I had a bout of what the Australians politely call "Gastro" last week so I missed a day of work. I was writhing in pain on my bathroom floor in cold sweats, but I did miss work, so I guess I would call it a push.

I am back in Melbourne. I have been playing some disc and riding Deirdre around. I joined a summer league in Albert Park. I have been hanging out with Joy and Hussey, and I helped my friend Amanda clean her apartment before a move.

Tomorrow I am going to the Australian Open to see Henin v. Sharapova (which is a quarter but could basically be a final) and Tsonga v. Youzhny. I saw Sharapova at the US Open a couple of years ago and I am psyched about the shrieking and grunting.

I am hoping for a 0-0 tie in the Super Bowl. Jerks.

I went to see American Gangster. It was pretty good. I love Common as a brother, and I love the RZA as a cop in the 70s. You can see his WuTang tattoo in one shot and that's a bit of an anachronism I guess.

Last week after the 'bout' I went to see Sufjan Stevens at the Forum. I think it was my 4th time to see him, and maybe the best. He played his tone poem to the BQE, and did some light up hula-hooping. The graphics were mind blowing all show. He wore wings for much of the set. He played 7 Swans, Good God Bird, Casmir Pulanki Day, Predatory Wasp..., Upper Peninsula and lots of other great songs. Best of all, he explained almost each track for a minute or two prior to playing them. Explaining the geography of Michigan in great detail to the Australian crowd, and teaching the HOMES mnemonic for the Great Lakes. He talked about his fear of trees. I hung on every word.

3 comments:

Kimberly Kay said...

Wow CK- I am completely jealous of your Sufjan experience - sounds sublime and amazing. We saw him here in Chicago in 2007. While a great experience - the crowd preferred screaming at him to hearing him speak. Ah well.

I second you on the 0-0 Super Bowl.

Have fun at the Australian Open!

xo
-kksw

Anonymous said...

hi ck, sorry to hear about the "bout".
the concert sounds great.
i am not happy about the football results.i'm not watching any more.
thank heavens for the aussie open.
golf starts soon.
still cold here.
love
sj

Anonymous said...

I think you've missed the boat with the Tennis, you should have got a grand pass and done the party courts, visited the party green (should that now be blue) and snobbed to centre court for a short while !!!
Sorry to hear about your 'bout' !

See you Friday !

Pato.