Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sing a Tsonga of 6 Games

So, last night I went to Rod Laver arena to watch the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. I had an absolute blast. I went with Lauren (aka Mama because all Australians are required to have a nickname). What I didn’t know until we arrived was that Lauren had been a ball kid at the Australian Open, back in the Sampras era, so she was super wise about all the goings on at the Open.

When we arrived we wandered around the grounds a bit and actually saw the tail end of a doubles match between the Williams sisters and a Chinese doubles team. The Chinese team prevailed and we headed off in search of beers.

We ate some noodles, and settled in to the center court at Rod Laver to see the quarterfinals match between world #1 Justine Henin and Maria Sharapova. The place was mostly full and the crowd was pretty in to the match. There were some great points and long rallies, but Sharapova dominated from the first serve until match point. I won’t be surprised if I see her again on Saturday when I go back to see the final.

My mom stayed up all night back in the US to watch the match live in case I turned up in a pan the crowd shot on ESPN. No such luck, as my seats were pretty much back row, but you’ve got to admit that’s dedication to the cause.

After that, there was a men’s quarter final between my new crush Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and the Russian #14 seed, Youzhny. Despite being un-seeded and a relative unknown, Jo-Dub dispatched the Russian in three sets to the delight of 6 or 7 very loud French fans. Tsonga’s up against R-Fed next, which may well be a tough spot, but might prove entertaining none-the-less.

I’m psyched to have been to the US Open in 2006 and now the Australian Open. Maybe Wimbledon is next?

Also, please check out this link for the Puppy Television Channel. If this ever gets off the ground I will quit my job for sure and stay home and watch it 24 hours a day. I may even have to consider the Astronaut’s approach to practicalities.

7 comments:

Simon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon said...

The Puppy Channel!! I heard a NPR story about The Puppy Channel, by the daughter of the guy who started it. It was hilarious, especially the clips she played of her Dad singing The Puppy Channel Theme!

The trip to the Open sounds great. What's the weather like? It always looks like the players are getting baked alive when they play there.

Stay well!

Anonymous said...

HI just want you to know I am reading!!!! Busy here in the states with children and work. Sounds like you are having fun. You will be able to handle Durham and the 49th station. I know you can't wait!!!!
Lynn

Anonymous said...

What Courtney didn't tell was about the couple in front of us who were sure to be getting a divorce immediately after leaving... he continually left he alone up in the backblocks to go down near the front and behave like a drunken yob with his mates...very amsuing.
and we got ssshhh'd by the posh man behind us. Ha
Go Jo -W!!!

Paul May said...

Wow! That match looked amazing, it got a lot of coverage here - who is this guy, how do we say his name, why was he shite last year, great today?, he's got a winning smile, is he the next Ali/Ashe? Anyway, see you at the mildly terrible Irish Open some time. I'd never go to Wimbledon, you'd have to put up with the latest and greatest English kid sure to be slaughtered mercilessly/valiantly.

Anonymous said...

hi courtney. wow maria was awsome last night. i'm so excited you got to see her win. i am pulling for tsonga in the mens final.
nadal is still my favorite. i have really enjoyed the australian open.
that 90 degrees looks pretty good to me.
l
sj

courtney said...

hey. apparently, the may boys come out for tennis. hi guys!

simon: it's super hot here. how is caracas? glad you got there okay. i am checking the blog lots, but it mostly still seems to be about chicago.

lynn, thanks for checking on me. have fun at the raleigh open. just kidding.

mama - thanks again for coming along to the tennis and giving me the inside scoop. you can take my sweaty towel any day.

paul - tsonga is the shit. everyone loves him like obama and crack. apparently coffee colored heroes are the it accessory for this season.

hi mom - try not to freeze on the mountain.