Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sarah's Visit

Sarah at Torquay in the wind
The Beach at Torquay
Cosy Corney Beach at Torquay
Surfers (I promise)
Sarah in Public Art at thew Docklands, it's still windy

It was great to have Sarah visit. She stayed with me for about 10 days. I worked most of the time and she toured around during the day seeing museums and stuff and we hung out in the evenings.

Some of our activities included:

  • Comedians at the Gunn Island Hotel (which is a bar)
  • A house warming party for a lawyer I know from Frisbee
  • MIFF 3 films, including the powerful Grace is Gone. (Also, a terrible Blair-Witch style local modern version of Hamlet, {we hated it but it is getting good reviews somehow} and the afore mentioned Forbidden Lies)
  • A trip to see the Shins. This 3rd album is really blowing up I guess. It has a single on it called Australia, which is very popular here.
  • Hussey’s Vegetarian Birthday Dinner in Carlton
  • A train & bus trip to a town called Torquay, which is a surfer’s haven and involved losing and miraculously finding my wallet a few hours later. The strong wind makes the desirable surf waves but also makes long walks loud, unpleasant and for Sarah, headache inducing. Torquay is about an hour west of Geelong and is at the foot of the great ocean road.
  • An AFL game at the MCG, The Hawthorne Hawks vs. the Brisbane Lions. Sarah was suspicious at first but came to really enjoy the fast paced game.
  • A cocktail party at my apartment with many Frisbee humans
  • Several brunches
  • We wrapped up the trip by watching bad American TV in my apartment before she flew off for a few more days in Brisbane and Sydney.

    (I’ve finally updated my, Flickr , so some of the pics of Torquay are there.)

    This weekend I’m off to Sydney again, for NUFL 1. My Victorian team will be playing for state pride in front of the world’s team selectors against teams from Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide. I’m looking forward to the tournament, though I could also use a quiet weekend at home to catch up on e-mail and errands. If you are expecting to hear back from me soon, keep waiting.

No comments: