Saturday, September 7, 2013

They are not kidding about Zanzibar: Part 2

(Sorry for the delay.  This is from early August.  We have not had much power, therefore internet in the village for the past few weeks...)

I cannot tell you how gorgeous the beaches of Eastern Zanzibar are and these photos really do not do it any justice.  I wanted to stay forever.  I asked about buying a house.  






View from my breakfast table

View from my front porch.  Amazing.




You know I am always into the fauna.  These little guys were all over the place I was staying.  They are adorable.

The beach on the east coast was so beautiful. The water was warm and clear.  I went for a lot of great swims.  Running on the beach was fun too. The seafood was delicious and I ate spicy octopus soup every meal I could. 

The weirdest thing, for me, having mostly gone to the beach in North Carolina was the tides.  High tide and low tide on Zanzibar were about half a mile away.  So at high tide, the ocean came almost to the steps of the place I was staying.  At low tide, standing on those steps you cannot even see the ocean.  You can go walking out on these sandy mud flats with some small tide pools for ages, walking toward the sea.  There were lots of sand dollars, star fish and sea anemones in along the way.  This leads to some funny images, because bars and restaurants that are beach front at high tide, are in the middle of a muddy wasteland at low tide.

Boats resting waiting for the tide to come back to them.

selfie on  a windy beach

my view from my seat on the tiny plane i flew in back to dar


No comments: