Saturday, January 26, 2013

An open letter to Megatrade International Inc.:


January 27, 2013 
2727 Westwood Drive
Nashville TN 37204 
USA


On January 18, 2013 I purchased your 14 oz travel coffee mug (Mega Steel Flask) from Nakumatt City Centre in Kigali Rwanda.

This is the listing for said product on your website: http://www.megavacuumflask.com/Stainless_Steel_Mug.html

I paid 3000 RF for this product, which is about 2% of my monthly pay at the village for orphaned and vulnerable youth where I work.

Below is a photo of the product and my receipt:


I was very much looking forward to the use of this product to bring delicious Rwandan coffee with me from my house to my office in an attempt to bring some normalcy to a career and life change that involves living in an institution with 500 needy kids, taking only cold showers, and being confronted by spiders at every turn.

I have been deeply, deeply disappointed with your product.

The mug leaks from the twist top seal between the mug and lid when one tries to drink from the mug, spilling piping hot Rwandan coffee on said user and also staining clothing and office floors.  (Clothing, by the way, that must be washed by hand, in a bucket.)  Many attempts have been made to tighten or reseal the lid to no avail.

Additionally, a leak formed during the initial use, between the plastic lining and the steel outer container that fills with coffee and cannot be extracted by emptying the mug or any amount of violent shaking.  I fear this coffee between the two layers will mold or become unsanitary.

At purchase, the mug was accompanies by a pink insert with detailed instructions for use in 4 languages.  I assure you that these instructions have been followed to the letter.  

Precaution #5 warns the user never to use the product in the microwave, oven, dishwasher, or stove top burner.  As I am not within 100 miles of any of these modern conveniences this has certainly not been a problem.

Precaution #6 states simply:
"Whatever question you may have about our products, please contact us at
."

Hence this communication.

Your website extolls the virtues of this product including "- Spill-resistant flip top drinking lid."
In my experience, the product is not spill resistant, but rather spill inducing.

Harms suffered by me as a result of this product include mild burns on the mouth and chin, stained clothing, shame and despondence.

Please send a replacement or upgraded product to:
Courtney Kelly
c/o ASYV
PO Box 7299
Kigali, Rwanda

I have already had a lengthy and unproductive conversation with the customer service representative at Nakumatt who insist they take no responsibility in the sale of this faulty product.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards,
Courtney Kelly

1 comment:

HerrSlam said...

yes! I love this. I actually brought back not one but two travel mugs from the States over the holidays, precisely for these reasons. I applaud you taking the fight to the man, but think you may be better off taking the fight to Amazon. Befriend someone in the Embassy and have them order through APO - should be there in 2 weeks.