Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Compensation

I have been thinking about meaningful work and jobs and salaries (and their apparent inverse correlation) a lot lately. It seems clear to me that the more actual value you deliver, the less one is compensated. Why has our society developed in this way? Why is there no financial incentive to do anything good, or even worthwhile?


I think meaningful work exclusively exists below $80K/year. Let me know if you can think of an exception.

I have been thinking about quitting my job to go clean up oil in the gulf. I don't love the idea of being poor though... I need tickets to sporting events and sneakers.

5 comments:

HerrSlam said...

A subject I've given a great deal of thought to, with the same depressing conclusion. Our society, more than many others, is manifestly incapable of valuing - in the financial sense - things that have actual social value. To the contrary, things of dubious social value (or even negative, in the case of many lucrative positions in the financial industry) are highly compensated. Not sure I've got an answer for you, though. 's a bummer.

Jennifer Stout said...

Did you make that chart?

courtney said...

chip, thanks, yeah this isn't an easy one. i guess i was in the same place as you this weekend and missed you entirely. rats! hope you had a good tourney. i heard truck stop whooped up on pony.

jen, yeah i made the chart in xls after i looked up the salaries on the interwebs.

Anonymous said...

Courtney,
For anyone to imply that NFL, NBA,WNBA,& NHL players are not worth the money they earn is ludicrous. These athletes bring joy, inspiration and meaning to the lives of millions of people.
It is unbelievable to me that some movie stars make even more money and they can't even dunk or skate.
In the future, please think about your statements before you publish them, or clear them with me.
Dad

courtney said...

Dad,

Thanks for your comment. Are you implying that the WNBA is a paid workforce? I assumed it was some kind of community service punishment. I doubt those athletes ever brought inspiration to anyone. As for the other athletes, I totally agree with your point. Unfortunately, as someone who can neither dunk or skate (both of which are at least partially your fault) I'm forced to continue seeking someway to keep myself fed and entertained, and the pickings are SLIM. Miss you. See you at the beach soon. ~ck