Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh yeah, I quit my job...

After 11 years, I am finally done with Accenture. It was pretty amazing how almost everyone in my life universally said, “Thank God! That was horrible. What were you doing?” I couldn’t believe how adamant and consistent the response was, even with today’s job market. (There was just one exception.)

I have a new job that is part time. It’s basically the same work, and not that glamorous, but the important thing is it’s only Mon-Weds and on Thursday I’ll be at the animal shelter, on Friday I’ll be coaching high school ultimate. I’m excited about doing other things, and willing to do the same old stuff for 3 days a week if it let’s me do stuff I like the other 4.


The good news is my first client is in Knoxville, TN. Knoxville is gorgeous. There is a river that winds though the town and there are all these gorgeous old homes and store fronts. The people all seem strangely, frighteningly friendly, like they are about to sell you something, but they never do. There’s no direct flight and that will be a PAIN, but so far so good.


The huge find for this week is that the new iPhone podcast software allows you to listen to the podcasts at double time. That’s twice as many slate daily podcasts for me. Emily Bazelon is so much more tolerable when she is talking twice as fast.


Zojirushi, my coed ultimate team this year, went to the White Mountain Open in Vermont//New Hampshire which was a very enlightening experience. We have a lot to work on. Next weekend is the Chesapeake Open down in Maryland. That should be big challenge. I’ll get to see my parents and all the varmints, which will be nice.


I’m reading Nabokov’s Despair which is making me identify with the protagonist way too much. But I should have a review for you on that sometime soon so stay tuned.


I went to see Animal Collective, at the Prospect Park Bandshell, courtesy of Stephen, who had to go out of town unexpectedly for a bachelor party. As pictured below, they went with a nautical theme and the huge shark moved back and forth in the waves.



I’ll leave you with this you tube saga (from Tatiana)which I found pretty amusing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I love Knoxville and still have family there, although they are a bit crazy.

Sara

Paul May said...

Good luck with the new job, sounds like a good deal :)

Unknown said...

Hi Courtney, it was very surprised to learn that you quit Accenture. But I think it's good! Good luck with your new job and wish you all the best.

I might be moving to Boston in the next year or two. I am getting married and my fiance lives and works in Boston. Maybe we will meet each other in NYC one day. :-)

Vivian

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I assent to but I dream the list inform should acquire more info then it has.