Thursday, February 8, 2007

Day 5: Newsworthy?

First off, it looks like I got out of NYC just in time. I’m sure the class-based overalls and tell-screen monitors are soon to follow. Doubleplus ungood. (I insist on my right to get hit by a taxi while simultaneously texting and watching a video podcast on my iPod.)

A quick note (mainly for my less blogging enthused friends and family) about the comments, which I shamelessly beg for and relish upon receipt like a schnauzer for bacon: It’s great if you have or want a blogger ID, however if you don’t, you can still leave comments. Make sure you choose the ‘Anonymous’ option (you can still leave your name if you want, but you aren’t forced to log in.) Thanks for everyone who’s let me know they are reading.

Unfortunately, now that I’ve established a loyal readership I find I don’t have much to report. I think I’ll have to scale back from daily to weekly soon, just so I have some updates to include.

Day 5 was suspiciously like 4 & 3. I went on a different run to Melbourne University (instead of the Royal Botanical Garden) which went fine. Melbourne is a heavily treed city which is nice. Run. Work. Repeat. My exotic international lifestyle is up to full speed now. One accomplishment I can report is my opening an Australian bank account. (My bank rep was maybe the most polite and friendly person I’ve ever met.) I’m official now. Let the money laundering schemes begin.

Back at Georgetown, I did a radio show on WGTB called Rap Presence with Terrence Mylonis. Blame me for the name, not Terrence. I seem to recall some FCC rules about stalling and repetition and boring people. Good thing that does not apply to blogging, cos I’m fresh out of ‘Courtney in Melbourne’ updates for today.

One last tidbit is that a popular car here in Melbourne seems to be some resurrection of an El Camino called “
Thunder”. Do look at the pic. The ones I’ve seen so far have been in subtle colors like orange and the same shade of neon yellow as that Mustang rental I wrecked at UNC hospital.

In lieu of further updates I’ll give you a quick take on my view of a couple of current news stories as I’ve digested them from CNN international:

Can someone explain to me what is so offensive about the Snickers Ads? Two morons accidentally kiss and then respond in a homophobic way by drinking motor oil and pulling out their chest hair. The message seems to be that homophobia is moronic. I’m fine with that.

Also these
two: My take on this ‘romantic’ find is that this couple probably died chocking each other. I guess it’s more likely she was put in his grave because he died and he got to take his property with him to the next realm. Take that, Hallmark. (My remote, amateur archeology expertise is in full swing.)

Today’s foreshadowing: Tomorrow I’m going with my ‘housing consultant’ to look at some apartments. I’ll let you know how that goes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,
We love your blog. Glad you are getting to see so much of the city.
I hope you find an apartment that you like. I suppose location is the main differentiator.
It is still very cold here, so we may visit sooner than we planned.
Love, Dad.

Paige said...

God, that car is hot.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. I didn't know I could leave comments.

The pitch for the el camino, as far as David and I can tell: "It's a CAR......but it's also a TRUCK! See...it's a TRUCK....but it's a CAR!" We don't get it.

The whole Snickers thing. Apparently some of the uproar is over the alternate endings posted on the website, one of which features one of the men slamming the other's head in the car hood, which some felt was a little too close to hate-crime violence. I don't know what I think. I kind of think it's a Snicker's ad and I just don't care. I think that probably makes me a bad gay man, though. Ah, well. We'll add it to the list.

Den.

courtney said...

Dad, good luck braving the frozen tundra. Let me know how the hook right is working out when you get a chance.

Paige, I can see you and Marc and O in that car, cruising around Nooga. In this vision, Marc has a mullet, of course.

Dennis, Thanks for shedding more light on the snicker's controversy. In the extended, extended ending do the guys don white robes and run around burning crosses? I hope so.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi courtney. i love your blog.i look foreward to checking every morning. this is my second blogging experience.
your hoyas killed my cardinals last night. in louisville no less.things do not look good for u of k or uof l.
lindy is sure they have kangaroos in raleigh and melbourne.
kate was hit in the finger with a frisbee at school. she was not playing, just talking.
good luck with ultimate tryouts.
i'll be cheering.
love u
sj

Anonymous said...

You call that an El Camino? That is like the Mazda Miata version of an El Camino maybe. El Camino's make me think of my badass uncle with the huge mustache and that car makes me think of Clay Aiken and Zima Gold.

courtney said...

Mom, I'm sure U of L will turn it around. They usually do by the end of the season. In the meantime I'm glad to hear the Hoyas picked up another quality win.

Matthew, In a tribute to your badass uncle, you need to grow a badass moustache too, or at least a dirty little rat-stache. Women LOVE those.